Steps for Rice Processing
The process by which the farmers get rice from the paddy plant is quite elaborate.
- At first the stalks of the paddy plant are cut and tiesd in bundles.
- The bundles are then taken to the farm-house.
- There the stalks are threshed to separate the grain from the stalk.
- The grains are collected and after that they are spread on the ground to blow away the dust, the grains are stored in granaries.
- They are next taken out, winnowed and boiled till the water dries.
- After that the dried grains are soaked in water in mud containers and left overnight.
- In the morning the grains are transferred to bamboo baskets and the water is drained.
- Then the grains are boiled once again, dried a second time and spread on the ground before being put on the dheki.
- The husks are separated from the grain in the dheki and finally the rice is winnowed again and again to blow away the husks.
– Paridhi Khanna