Characteristics of Sedimentary Rocks
Sedimentary rocks are formed by the deposition and solidification of eroded materials of pre-existing rocks by natural agents like river, glacier, and wind at distant places below the river, lake, sea or oceans in layers. As these rocks are formed under water, so they are called Aqueous Rocks.
- These rocks are formed of different strata or layers.
- These rocks are soft compared to other types of rocks.
- As these rocks are not made of crystals, so they are non- crystalline.
- Sedimentary rocks contain fossils.
- These rocks are porous.
- Most of the rocks can be easily eroded.
- Rocks which are made of organic remains form the reserves of coal, petroleum and natural gas.