Meaning of “Robots”
The term “Robots” has been with humans for quite a long time; most especially from movies where you can see them do all the amazing things humans wouldn’t have been able to do. They are so famous and probably don’t need any special introduction, but they are more than what we see on our screens, and with the extensive use of this machines, it is only practical to know what exactly a robot is.
In the simplest of definition, robots are automated machines usually equipped with features similar to that of humans (arms and legs) and can carry out a particular task based on the instructions programmed for it. In other words, it is any programmable machine that can perform different functions. Their importance is on the rise and in industries where the tasks carried out by the workers are dangerous; now use robots as a replacement.
Advantages of Robots
Their importance is enormous, and some of the most obvious ones are listed below;
- For exploration: robots are now sent to places that were once too dangerous for humans to explore. Now we know more about our surroundings thanks to robots.
- Highly efficient: robots are highly skilled and perform any task with precision and accuracy.
- Reduced the cost of production: with the speed and accuracy of robots, the cost of producing goods and services has significantly been reduced.
- Automated: robots are programmed devices and as such don’t need human support to carry out their designated roles.
- Increased productivity: design to carry out repetitive tasks without any problems, robots help to improve the productivity of a company.
- In healthcare and medicine: robots are now used to carry out complicated surgical procedures more
efficiently now in some hospitals.
- On warfare: the use of robots in warfare has helped reduced the number of lives lost.
- Extreme environments: robots, unlike humans, can withstand harsh environment and provide optimum results.
- Better utilization of space: in the manufacturing industry, the use of robots helps in maximizing space as one robot can be responsible for the jobs of ten or more people.
- Complete task humans are unwilling to carry out: some robots are sent to outer space to carry out investigations never to return.
- Robots don’t need breaks and as such can work for long hours non-stop.
- Robot helps to increase the safety of the workplace.
- Robots are used in the agricultural industry to make task faster.
- Robots are stronger than human.
- Robots come in different sizes to suit the specific needs.
Well for every advantage, the is sure disadvantages and robots have their fairshare;
- The use of robots leads to the loss of jobs by human workers.
- Robots are limited to what they were programmed to do only.
- They lack intelligence and as such can’t improve on their task.
- No emotions or feelings.
- Robots can be dangerous to humans.
- They need a constant supply of power.
- The high cost of maintenance.
- They can’t compare to the efficiency of the human brain.
- The additional cost of hiring staffs.
In conclusion, there are so many advantages to having a robot around as there are disadvantages, so it boils down to what you have to gain or lose when deciding to get one.
By Jay Kuch.