Having a hobby means having a regular activity that you do for pleasure during your pleasure time. There are different types of hobbies such as painting, listening to music, playing sports, creative writing, blogging, fishing keeping and singing. Some people claim that participating in
a hobby is beneficial while others disagree claiming it wastes time. Below are both advantages and disadvantages of having a hobby.
Advantages of Having a Hobby
- Hobbies promote eustress (The positive kind of tress) which in turn makes you productive.
- They provide a perfect outlet to challenge oneself without suffering from stress that characterizes work-related challenges.
- Engaging in a leisure activity exposes you to a new world of individuals who enjoy participating in the same activity.
- It provides an avenue to release stress because when you focus on a non-work related activity.
- Hobbies provide a great way to break from our otherwise extremely daily busy lives without losing a purpose.
- Hobbies particularly those involving physical activity have physical health benefits.
- Engaging in leisure activities save you from idleness that leads to engaging in unhealthy activities and decadent behaviors.
- They can improve your career as it shows employers that you have passion and self-drive to do something with your free time.
- Leisure activities can provide extra income because some like singing has monetary value and hence generate income.
- They can grow you spiritually. Doing something that inspires and recharges you nourishes your soul.
- Research has found that hobbies build self-esteem and enhances self-confidence that will help you achieve your dreams.
- Nurturing a new hobby can help you develop your dream character because it exposes you to new ideas and a new circle of friends,
- Mentally intensive leisure activities like learning computer coding and playing chess give your brain a great workout.
- Hobbies improve sleep. Engaging in a relaxing activity before going to bed slows down your heartbeat enhancing sleep.
- They also help you develop patience because as you learn how to practice the hobby, the learning curve will require patience.
Disadvantages of Having a Hobby
- Playing video games may lead to addiction which is counterproductive for school-going children.
- They can serve as a procrastination tool making you delay doing an urgent activity.
- Hobbies have been found to provide an avenue to “escape reality” and not deal with personal problems.
- One may end up focusing on hobbies more than income generating activities.
- When you become immersed in your hobby, you may end up isolating yourself from loved ones.
- Some hobbies like computer games can give you false expectations in life.
- Certain aggressive smartphone games can make young people become violent.
- Concentrating on a hobby while traveling by public means can make you forget to alight at the right destination.
- Engaging in hobbies that involve sitting before a computer screen for a long period of time can cause eye problems.
- The obsession with leisure activities can prevent people from doing physical exercise leading to obesity.
- People who have hobbies may not venture too far into other important activities.
- Some hobbies require expensive equipment thus draining the financial resources of families.
- Hobbies like hunting lead to the destruction of wildlife and hence loss of biodiversity.
- People who get excessively immersed in hobbies can forget to eat resulting in poor health.
Having a hobby plays a crucial role in improving one’s life.
It breaks the work-related boredom, reduces stress and much more. However, if
you overdo it, it can lead to the above disadvantages.
By: Joni Kim