There are many reasons as to why you should learn English as a language. English is a second language in many countries since we include it in our school syllabus. As children, we start learning it at an early age. English has become the most commonly spoken language internationally. The English language allows you to communicate effectively with people from different cultures. It also enables you to become a better listener and creates many opportunities for you.
So why should you study English and not any other language? Well, it is a primary source of communication in business or education and not to forget science and technology. There being thousands of languages in the world, it is vital to have wordings that bring you together, and English does. It also has a health benefit surprising right! Studies have shown that people speaking two or more languages have more active minds later in life.
Importance of studying the English Language
- English is one of the most popular language spoken in the world. Studies have shown that one out of five people can understand or speak English.
- English is also the language of science, computers, tourism, aviation and, diplomacy.
- Increases your chances of you getting a great job in multinational organizations either at home or abroad.
- English is the official language spoken in almost sixty countries.
- For you to be able to use the internet you need to be conversant with the English language. Most websites use English to pass information.
- Access to the entertainment industry. Majority of the elite films, music, and books are either published or produced in English.
- Thousands of schools around the world offer academic courses and programmes in the English language.
- Over four hundred million people globally speak English as a first language.
- English is quite easy and fast to learn. It has been established on simple alphabets as compared to other languages.
- UN, NATO and, other International and regional organizations have made English their official communicating language.
- You get to feel satisfied just by understanding the language.
- It makes it easier for you to travel anywhere.
- English is critical in the international marketplace.
- It is a fun language that you get to learn.
- For a smooth transition for the immigrants and tourists, English becomes essential.
The English language has gradually evolved over the past, and it will still be in use for years to come. Learning English can make a difference in your life.
By Sheila Karuku.