Population growth refers to an increased in the number of people existing within a given region. With population growth is caused due to, an increase in birth rate and immigration statistics for that region, and a decrease in death rate and the number of people leaving that region for another.
A significant problem faced by population growth is that population growth doesn’t come with an increase in land. So while population increases, the land space doesn’t. What this means is that if the population growths of any region isn’t checked and contain inline with the land mass and resources present in that region, it might result in population outburst. With these, let’s look at some of the advantages as well as the disadvantages of population growth.
Advantages of Population Growth
The advantages of population growth among others include:
- It brings about economic growth and development. Population growth of a country brings about an increase in transactions of necessary requirements like food, clothing and shelter. This influences the economic status of such country as there would be an increase in tax paid. These taxes paid by the individual are then being used to bring about infrastructural development to such region.
- Population growth also brings about an increase in the number of people that constitute the workforce of the nation. With this increase in the nation’s workforce, there is a ready human workforce that is well utilized and developed, can bring about increased productivity especially in the areas of agriculture and manufacturing.
- Population growth also results in high level of innovative ideas: the more the number of people, the more the innovative ideas that can be developed. Population growth through the presence of many innovative brains can help result in more and more industrial production as well.
- Population growth also ensures diversity and appreciation of various orientations especially in the areas of culture and religion.
Disadvantages of Population Growth
Notwithstanding the numerous advantages of population growth, population growth if not properly checked, can be very disadvantageous. Some of the many disadvantages of population growth include:
- With an increased population in any society or country, comes high crime rate. This is because the more the population increases, the more individuals begin to compete for basic living requirements. In a bit to earn a living, individuals delve into all sort of
illegal activities to make a living.
- Population growth also means that individuals have to compete for more land space. Even though population increases,
land space doesn’t, and to create more space, environmental degradation like deforestation occurs.
- Population growth results in high-level competition for basic resources available in the region. Due to limited resources, population growth results in unemployment as population growth begins to surpass employment opportunities available.
Even though the exact figure of the world’s population isn’t fixed, many experts agree that population growth comes with numerous benefits. However for a nation to continually enjoy these many benefits, it has to ensure it takes several measures to ensure that population growth is being checked and controlled. This is because if population growth is not monitored, it can be very disadvantageous to the nation in diverse ways.
By Jay Kuch.