Junk food is basically food that is easy to cook but low in nutritional value. Junk food can be cooked rather quickly but is generally not good for health. Examples of junk food include potato chips, candy, etc. Junk foods are high in calories, fats, and sugar etc. but with low or negligible essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
Many fast food outlets including pizza joints, fried chicken shops etc. are known to be the greatest source of junk foods. Recent studies have indicated that junk foods are the major cause of obesity in people especially children.
Let’s have a look at some major pros as well as cons of eating junk foods.
Advantages of Junk Food:
- Saves a lot of time.
- Easy to prepare.
- Anyone can cook it.
- Cheaper than traditional food items.
- Easy solution for hunger.
- Tastier than most of the usual vegetables.
- Junk foods that are sold at grocery stores are mostly in ready-to-eat state and are really convenient.
- Available in large variety.
- Highly popular with children and even adults.
- Junk foods are easily available anywhere, anytime.
- Ice cream, considered to be a junk food, is a great source of pleasure on sunny days.
- Candy bars, chocolates etc are great choices of gift for various occasions.
- Chinese foods, mostly junk foods, are hugely popular among people of all ages.
- Makes breakfast easy.
- We can exercise precise control over the amount of junk food we eat, for instance, small, regular, and large portions.
Disadvantages of Junk Food:
- A major cause of weight gain.
- Saturated fats present in most junk foods lead to various health issues.
- Sodium found in junk food items may cause several cardiovascular diseases.
- Junk foods lack fiber, as such, they may cause gastrointestinal issues.
- High in cholesterol.
- Reduces family meal time as junk food is quickly consumed.
- It is lower in quality than traditional food items.
- Eating junk food often can be expensive in the long run.
- Most junk foods also contain preservatives which are harmful to health.
- Inculcates bad eating habits in children.
- It encourages overeating.
- Trans-fats present in junk foods can lead to heart diseases and stroke.
Several health campaigns have been conducted to create awareness about the hazards of consuming junk foods on a regular basis. However, it must be said that all the leading fast food joints such as McDonald’s, Subway, KFC, Burger King, etc. continue to thrive as always. Resorting to an active lifestyle and being careful about what goes inside our body can minimize the ills of eating junk food.