Online shopping refers to buying goods and services over the internet. You can also say it is the act of purchasing products over the internet.
Online shopping involves researching an online seller, going to their website, searching for your desired item, looking at the price and features, then you can select it and plan for a delivery.
In online shopping, you can buy the things online and then pay immediately or when it is delivered.
Online shopping is a type of shopping where you do not have to physically pick a product over the shelf and pay on the counter as everything is done online.
Advantages of online shopping
You do not have to wait in long lines to purchase a product.
- Online shopping allows you to shop at any time of the day even at midnight.
- It is the best place to purchase items that require discretion.
- You do not have to put up with persuasive salespeople.
- Online shopping offers you a wide range of products to choose from.
- You can see the product reviews on certain products online hence keeping you informed based on their experiences.
- You can be able to send gifts such as birthday cards and wedding cards directly to your loved ones without having to travel through online shopping.
- Online shops usually offer great discounts and rewards on certain products.
- Online shopping allows you to buy used or unused items at lower prices.
- There are no crowds in online shopping who may end up giving you a headache with all the noise.
- It is easier to compare prices of items from different vendors when shopping online.
- With online shopping, you spend less as you do not have to travel or even have to eat outside.
- You can get very detailed information about a product you want through online shopping.
- Online shopping allows you to compare different brands of certain products for example choosing either to buy a Samsung or a Sony television.
Online shopping allows you to follow through on your order and delivery status.
Disadvantages of online shopping
- There are usually delays in delivery which might frustrate a customer.
- Retailers may be storing buying habits of customers hence raising concern.
- Paying using credit cards and debit cards over the internet may raise security concerns.
- You can only see but not touch the products hence raising concern over the quality.
- Products can get damaged during transportation.
- Some consumers usually require sales assistants to assist them in selection which online shops lack.
- The shipping charge may be way too high if you do not reside in a nearby country.
- The product delivered may be way too different from the one you saw online.
- With the wide variety of products to choose from and the ease with which one can access the internet, you may end up spending more than what you had initially planned.
- The discounts offered online may not be as big as the ones offline retailers usually offer.
- With the increase in cyber crimes, frauds in online shopping have increased too.
- Shopping experience cannot be felt online, you need to go out and have fun and enjoy as you shop.
- You cannot negotiate for a certain price for online shopping as compared to physical stores.
- Some online shopping sites have strict terms and conditions which people usually ignore and may come to haunt you later.
- One is unable to take advantage of the seasonal tax-free shopping events.
Shopping online requires one to thoroughly investigate the online shops they plan to use and read their terms and conditions before placing an order so as not to regret later.
With a good online shopping site, one may be able to reap the benefits of online shopping and reduce the disadvantages that come with it.