Red Fort, also known as Lal Qila was built in the year 1648 by Shan Jahan. Located in Old Delhi, Red Fort was once the main residence of the Mughal emperors. Spread across 254 acres, it is a well-known UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Prime Minister of India delivers the Independence Day speech every year from Red Fort itself.
Let us now learn about some interesting facts about Red Fort.
- Red Fort when it was built was red and white in color. The design of this fort was made by Ustad Ahmad Lahauri, who also happens to be the architect of Taj Mahal.
- Red Fort was given the name due to the large red colored walls that surrounds it.
- The actual name of Red Fort was Qila-e-Mubarak.
- It is said that it took 10 years to complete the construction of this fort.
- Red Fort also has a building inside called the Rang Mahal.
- Red Fort is one place that will be ever remembered for the historic glory.
The fort is open for public on all day except during Independence Day. So, if you wish to learn more about the Mughal Empire, a visit to the Red Fort is a must.