Yoga is a series of physical and mental exercises that inhibits spiritual practices and disciplines that is originated in ancient India. Yoga is one of the six orthodox schools of Hindu philosophy. There are a wide variety of yoga practices, schools, and goals in Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism. The origin of Yoga is from the ancient pre-Vedic Indian traditions. The most popular yoga is Hatha Yoga and Raja Yoga. The tradition of yoga is mentioned in the Rig Veda which was developed around the 5th or 6th centuries B.C.E. The yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. During the 80s yoga became popular in the western world as a system of physical exercise.
Benefits of Yoga
The wide benefits of Yoga are discussed as below:
- The regular practice of Yoga increases the flexibility in the muscles.
- Practicing Yoga increases the muscle strength and tones the body.
- The relaxation techniques in Yoga improve the respiration, energy, and vitality.
- It helps in maintaining the balanced metabolism of the human body.
- Yoga helps in the reduction of weight and removes fat from the body.
- Yoga improves the cardiac health with the maintenance of rhythmic cardiac beat and also keeps healthy blood circulation through the body.
- It enhances the performance of the athletes and protects from injuries.
From the above article, it can be inferred that practicing yoga regularly provides great benefit to the human body. It not only increases the physical strength but also reduces the mental stress level of a human being. The incorporation of meditation and extensive breathing in yoga can help improve a person’s mental well-being. Regular yoga practice also creates mental clarity and calmness, increases the awareness in the body, relieves the chronic stress pattern, creates concentration and attention and sharpens the mind. Thus yoga is considered the most important subject in maintaining a healthy and happy life with the basic mental stability of an individual.