Digitization means to move to a system where data is converted into digital format as against having the data on paper or reels of film, etc. This involves the use of computers, information technology and the internet.
Educational information has been converted to the digital format that can be stored easily and accessed easily from anywhere via internet and computers. So books, papers, journals and newspapers are being converted to a digital format.
Banking and finance
The banking and finance industry has majorly shifted from manual operations to digital and online operations, in the past few decades.
Tourism and entertainment
Digitization in entertainment means a gradual shift of audio-visual media, movies, music, etc. into a digital format, e.g. CDs, DVDs, NETFLIX and other online resources. In tourism air-tickets, hotels, taxis, tourist attractions can all be accessed through the internet via online digital resources.
Digitization has transformed the photography industry, with the introduction of the digital camera. Photographs have shifted from film to digital media.
- A vast amount of information is easily accessible via digital and online resources.
- Digital storage of books, films, literature, etc. has cut down on cost and maintenance of huge libraries, archives, physical storage facilities.
- Travel time and cost to access libraries, archives, etc. is saved as one can access the resources at home or online.
- The durability and lifespan of digital resources is better.
- Rare and difficult to find books, media, resources, can now be easily accessed.
- Digital resources can be transferred online, and thus can be accessed from or shared to global locations.
- The accounting, tracking and coding of resources is easier.
- In banking and finance industry, paperless operations have cut down on time, money and resource costs.
- The banking transactions have become more user-friendly as you can operate your own accounts via online banking.
- Operations have become easy for the operating staff at banks, libraries, offices, etc. as they can sort through and manage digital resources far easily.
- The manpower cost has also gone down as resources are more easily manageable.
- Digitization of real estate, tourism, etc. industries, allows research, booking and planning from your online tools.
- Storage, editing and transfer of digital photographs is extremely user-friendly.
- Cost and process complexity of developing and printing photographs has gone down.
- Security management of critical resources has also become easier due to Digitization.
- The charm of holding a paper book isn’t the same as reading it on screen.
- Dependence on computers, screens and online tools has gone up.
- Source of Power is mandatory for accessing digital resources.
- Online resources have the risk of exposure to being hacked.
- The initial stages of digital conversion of resources involves heavy time and money investment.
- It can be argued that ease of digital photography is leading to increase in narcissistic tendencies amongst lay people.
- Digital photography and software like PHOTOSHOP are widely used for fraud in the advertising industry.
- Digital photographs and videos can be created and shared globally very easily. In the hands of anti-social elements this a threat to individual privacy.
- Ease of digital shopping and payment options exposes people to obsessive shopping tendencies.
- Children can very easily access age-inappropriate digital media. Parents need to be careful to prevent this.
- Addiction to digital media is a growing problem in all age groups.
- People from pre-digital generations, sometimes find it difficult to become technology savvy.
- Children and younger generations are moving away from skills like writing.
- Piracy of digital media like movies, music, etc. is a big challenge.
- It is sometimes challenging to ascertain the authenticity of digital and online information.
Digitization has revolutionized the information, media, and all industry sectors. It has transformed our daily lives to a new level of easiness and comfort. Though one needs to be cautious of its addictive and overuse potential.