Clean and Green Environment
Clean and green environment is a basic need today. The environmental pollution in the form of air, water, and land pollution, has severely affected life. The air quality is unbreathable, water non-potable and the land contaminated, leading to many diseases. For earth to survive, the pollution must me tackled and reversed. A healthy life is possible only if the basic necessity of cleanliness of air and land is achieved. Clean and green environment imply absence of pollution and a better quality of life.
Why clean and green?
Cleanliness needs to be promoted for the sake of hygiene and health. Litter lying about attracts scavengers and the unclean filth leads to many epidemics.
Green on the other hand has a direct link to promoting good health. Literally a green environment means abundance of trees and greenery. Trees are instrumental in purifying air by absorbing the dangerous gases and giving out Oxygen. Also greenery has a soothing and pacifying effect on people. The natural ecosystem heavily depends on trees and plants on supporting the smaller insects, animals and birds for shelter and food.
In a metaphorical way, green refers to being ecology friendly. So a ‘Green School’ would mean a school which replaces all its systems towards ecology friendly alternatives such as electronic communication instead of paper circulars etc. The usage of electricity is reduced and power saving equipment is used and recycling encouraged, even for the children.
How to keep the environment clean and green?
- Planting more trees and increasing the green area is a major step towards keeping the environment clean and green.
- Proper disposal of waste of every kind must be encouraged and if necessary, rewarded.
- The emission of vehicular gases should be checked and environmentally friendly fuel alternatives encouraged.
- Deforestation should be dissuaded and penalised. If found indispensable, an alternative area must be cultivated for forestation.
- All material that is non-degradable such as plastic should be removed from circulation.
- People must be educated about the importance of a clean and green environment. Awareness programs are beneficial in doing so.
- Fire crackers and burning fires in the open must be stopped.
Keeping the environment clean and green is of utmost priority to sustain a healthy evolution of life.