One often hears the saying, ‘A dog is man’s best friend’. Many of us can claim that to be the utmost truth. A dog is a four-legged animal that is domestically helpful for companionship or security.
A person, who owns a dog or many dogs is usually referred to as a dog owner.
Benefits of owning a dog naturally refer to the advantages that a person or a dog owner derives from having the dog as a pet or for security. It is a well-known fact that dogs are the most loyal of all animals. Apart from this they are the closest to human beings in affection and have adapted to co-habitation with humans.
Benefits of Owning a Dog
- Dog owners usually claim that their family gets completed by the addition of a dog.
- Children born in a family owning a dog are usually much more immune to germs and allergies as against those where there are no dogs.
- Children who grow up with dogs have a different and more sympathetic outlook towards all animals in general and are less afraid of them.
- Dog owners must walk their dogs. This becomes a daily form of exercise as well as a quality time spent with your pet.
- Houses with dogs are less likely to be vandalised or robbed since most dogs bark at the slightest hint of a stranger’s presence. This is also a reason why many people like to put up signs to make people aware of the presence of a dog, even if there really isn’t one.
- Dogs are excellent companions especially for old people or those who live alone. They take away the ennui of the solitude by very low maintenance.
- For a person back home from work, the excitement and joy of the dog on seeing her takes a large part of the tiredness away.
- Dogs often replace a therapist, they are so good at guessing that you are in pain and will sit by you and commiserate as long as you do.
- Some varieties of dogs can also act as babysitters, although not for little babies and certainly not in the entire absence of a grown up.
- Guide dogs do an excellent job by guiding their blind masters through the roads and the various transport system that the master needs to take.
- Police dogs are specially trained sometimes to track down the trails left behind by criminals, and other times by sniffing out people from under debris or sniffing out bombs etc.
- For a child in the house, the dog is usually the first companion who teacher her to share things, affection and attention.
- Many dogs can do useful things like fetching the newspapers etc.
- Having a dog confirms your image of being an animal lover and usually gives a good balance to the personality.
- Dogs chase away small animals like rodents and cats from the house.
Dogs are a worthwhile addition to any household or even offices at times.