Fish are one among the many interests that nature has given us. They live in water and exist in numerous species. While many people use fish as a source of food, others also use fish for decorative purposes for example in aquariums. Other types of fish are used for sport. Fish come in different shapes, sizes, and color.
The Largest Fish Species Today
- The Whale Shark. This is the biggest fish species existing today. It can grow up to 41.5ft and can weigh up to 21.5 tons. Whale sharks live for up to 70 years and are more likely to be found in open water in the warm tropical oceans.
- The Basking Shark. They can grow up to 20 to 26ft and weigh a maximum of almost 19 tons. They are second in the list of the most prominent extant fish species.
- Great White Shark. You will find them in coastal oceans’ waters with temperatures of between 12 and 24 degrees. They are 20ft long and can weigh up to 3.3 tons.
- Tiger Shark. Their length goes up to 16ft, and they weigh 3 tons. After the great white shark, the tiger shark is next when it comes to attacks of humans.
- Giant Oceanic Manta Ray. It is the largest species of the ray fish. It weighs 3 tons and can be as big as 23ft. These fish live in the tropical and sub-tropical oceans.
- Ocean Sunfish. It is the world’s largest existing bony fish with its size going up to 10.ft and weight 2.3 tons. Their habitat is the tropical and temperate oceans.
- Sharptail Mola. You will find this species in the tropical and temperate marine waters. The Sharptail Mola can attain a length of 11ft and weight of 2 tons.
- Hoodwinker Sunfish. This is a newly discovered species therefore not so much is known about its behavior. It is mostly found on the Southern Hemisphere oceans.
Fish are beautiful creatures to watch and learn about. It is interesting how they develop mechanisms for survival under water. Besides that, they make a very delicious meal. From the piece, you are now knowledgeable about the largest types of fish.