There have been countless ongoing debates on the issue of online classes Vs. Traditional classes. As the times progress, online learning has become very popular across the globe. More and more learning institutions have incorporated online courses into the school curriculum thus drawing students away from the traditional learning methods.
By definition, traditional classes happen in a setting where learners enroll in learning institutions and take their classes in classrooms while online classes are computer-based.
Online classes have recorded rising popularity over the years. However, the traditional system has been trying to counterfeit this by coming up with ways of retaining students in classrooms. Since there are always two sides of a coin, it is important to learn about both systems and analyze the pros and cons. For students, this will help them to choose where to go to college.
Below are some of the irreplaceable benefits of traditional classes:
- Active mode of learning. There is one on one interaction between students and teachers which helps the students to learn actively.
- Active participation of students and teachers. Students take part in classroom activities actively thus improving their understanding.
- Learning is scheduled. Timetables and also the duration of lectures are scheduled enabling the students to be well organized.
- Social interaction. Students get a chance to interact face-to-face with each other in a classroom setting.
- Comfort level. The classroom set-up is convenient as students are easily attended to when they have challenges and can access their lecturers directly.
- Helps students to be responsible. The structure and routine of traditional classes enable one to become accountable.
- Breeds honesty. It is doubtful to find students cheating during exams in a traditional classroom set-up.
Some pros of online classes include:
- Lower total costs. Taking online classes saves you on expenses like commuting and accommodation costs.
- Variety of programs and courses. Students now have a variety of courses to choose from regardless of the academic degree.
- Flexible learning environment. Online classes give learners the option of choosing an environment which they feel most comfortable in when doing their studies.
- With online classes, students can plan their own study time without the dictation of a scheduled timetable.
- Career advancement. Studying online allows you to continue progressing in your career as you can fit your studies into your schedule.
- Self-discipline and responsibility. Online studying requires personal motivation and time-management skills as there is no one to monitor you as it is in the case of traditional classes.
- More interaction. Online learning provides a better platform for shy and reserved people to participate in class discussions compared to face-to-face learning.
Traditional classes and online classes both have their merits and demerits. It is up to the learner to keenly look at both sides and decide which best suits them. There are also courses which are practical therefore would require face-to-face classes. All in all, both the traditional and online learning systems have proved to be efficient in delivering knowledge.