Taj Mahal is one of the world famous historic monuments and is also one among the New Seven Wonders of the World. Taj Mahal is also a UNESCO Heritage Centre and is a mausoleum that is made of white marble. It is said that the historic monument was built between years 1631 and 1648 in Agra.
The story of how and why Taj Mahal was built is popular around the world. It was built by the then Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in the loving memory of his wife. Taj Mahal can also be termed as a jewel of Muslim art and a masterpiece that is admired universally.
While we all know about the importance of Taj Mahal, let us try and learn some interesting facts about the historic monument.
- It is said that about 22,000 laborers were appointed to build Taj Mahal. The count included painters, artists and stonecutters as well.
- It is also said that Emperor Shah Jahan had plans to build another Taj Mahal, but using black stone, but it was interrupted after a war with his sons.
- It is also said that Taj Mahal took about 17 years to get completed.
- The monument also captures the changing moods of the Emperor’s wife and the same can be witnessed with the changing colors of the monument throughout the day.
- The materials that were put to use in the construction of this monument were bought on 1000 elephants.
- A number of precious stones were embedded in the walls of this monument, most of which were ripped off by the British Army in the year 1857.
- Taj Mahal is said to attract more than one million tourists every year.
So, if you haven’t visited Taj Mahal yet, it is time you do so. Do not forget to take a picture with your wife when you get there with the monument as the background.