Doctors are people who are trained in medicine and certified to diagnose and treat people who are suffering from various illnesses. Medical doctors are, therefore, physicians who work in clinics, hospitals, private centers and medical centers treating patients for injuries and sicknesses.
Their jobs involve ordering diagnostic tests, prescribing medication, recording patient information and diagnosing illnesses. Doctors normally have specializations like gynecology, general practice, pediatric medicine, dermatology, and orthopedics among many more.
Doctors’ responsibilities vary depending on environment and specialization. For instance, emergency room physicians work in fast-paced and hence settings while most family doctors are at liberty to set their own work schedules especially when they are working in private medical care centers. The professional requires passion and dedication because helping sick people and those who are injured can take a toll on your emotional strength. However, the job is adequately rewarding and will help persons involved attain their personal goals.
Importance of Doctors
- Saving lives; when a patient gets a serious injury and or requires urgent medical procedure doctors take up the responsibility of helping such a person thus saving a life.
- Improve the quality of life; by treating mild diseases, doctors relieve people of the burden of struggling with an illness thus enhancing life.
- Control epidemics; doctors conduct research and come up with measures to address contagious and epidemic conditions that tend to affect a large fraction of the population at once.
- Extend lifespan; for diseases that cannot be cured completely, doctors recommend medicines and therapies that extend the patient’s life or the start of the worst symptoms.
- Prevention of diseases; physicians promote preventive medications thus keeping people healthy and preventing the emergence of costly diseases.
- Economic impact; health practitioners employ staff, buy office space and buy goods and service from the society thus improving the financial strength of the community members.
- Educate people; they have established websites and social media platforms through which they educate people on the best way of nursing minor illnesses.
- Ensure there is a reliable workforce; physicians treat the populace including those who are active workers. The country, therefore, realizes a reliable workforce leading to a thriving economy.
- Modifying health policy; medical practitioners, due to their unique respectful positions, are best positioned to push authorities to enact sound healthcare policies.
- Humanitarian work; some physicians volunteer on missions where they provide health care and treat victims of disasters among many other crucial roles.
- Valuable assets to their families; besides treating and providing preventive medication to their friends and family members, doctors provide general health-related advice.
- Improve patient’s homecare; doctors teach families how to care for and support their loved ones suffering from unique diseases, without endangering their lives.
- It is a social profession; their profession involves actively interacting with the society and the public. Consequently, they learn many social aspects that they can pass to future generations.
- Train medical personnel; doctors pass down valuable information they have acquired in their career to young upcoming medical practitioners thus enriching the medical field.
Doctors play a very crucial role in the society. Besides saving lives, administering preventive medicines and providing health-related advice, physicians push governments to enact the right medical policies. They are conduct researches whose findings have a huge bearing on the fight against pandemic diseases.
By: Joni Kim