Girl child education refers to all aspects of education aimed at developing the competence, skills, and knowledge of girl child and women. It includes the general education at schools, colleges, professional education, vocational and technical education, and health education. Education of women encompasses literary and non-literary education. Since girl child education has the potential to bring about socio-economic changes, democratic countries have enacted laws that guarantee equal rights to men and women.
Primary education is paramount to both genders; protecting the rights of a girl child ensures the sustainability of the entire society.
Considering the importance of education in modern society both government and non-government organizations must take active roles to strengthen girl child education. Studies show that it played a major role in the advancement of western countries.
Consequently, countries aspiring to transform their status are best advised to give priority to the education of women.
Importance of Girl Child Education
- Reduce child marriages; when girls remain in school beyond primary they avoid the economic danger of marrying early.
- Economic empowerment; girls who have extra years of education earn more as an adult.
- Promotes education; Educated mothers are more likely to send their children to school than the uneducated ones.
- Increase productivity; educated girls are productive and as such reduce the burden on the society.
- Improves the economy of the entire society; educated women take part in economic activities to earn income.
- Increase literacy; offering all children education will increase literacy levels in the entire world by a huge margin.
- Political representation; educating women will go a long way in increasing their political involvement.
- Increases GDP; Gross Domestic product increases when both boys and girls are sufficiently educated.
- Poverty eradication; girl child education empowers women to participate in economic and business activities.
- Improved life; educated women can fight for their rights leading to a general improvement in living standards.
- Gives women dignity and power; educated women are sources of inspiration and hence are esteemed.
- Brings diversity; educated girls are able to make a unique contribution to the development of the nation.
- Solutions to female problems; educated women are best positioned to understand and intelligently offer solutions to issues relating to girls.
True to a proverb that says educating a boy is equivalent to educating one man but educating a girl is akin to educating the entire family, and nation, girl child education is paramount. An educated woman has massive strength, courage, knowledge, and potential. Such a lady generously passes down all these positive attributes to her children and the society at large. Solutions of our many societal problems lie in women education.
By: Joni Kim