Physical exercise refers to the performance of any form of workout with the aim of developing or maintaining physical fitness and general health. Regular and frequent physical exercise goes a long way in preventing certain illnesses. Physical activity has both short-term and long-term health benefits.
Additionally, it can enhance your quality of life. It doesn’t have to include several hours of exercising; about 30 minutes of physical activity per day can help you realize impressive health benefits.
Exercises are categorized into three types depending on the effect they have on your body. Flexibility exercises like stretching boost muscle and joints range while aerobics like running and taking a walk to increase your cardiovascular endurance. Anaerobic exercises, on the other hand, which include weight lifting, sprinting and functional training, improve short-term muscle strength. Regardless of the type, physical activity maintains physical fitness.
Importance of physical exercise
- Physical activity prevents cardiovascular diseases.
- Physical exercise provides the best way to cut weight. It enables your body to convert excess calories into useful energy necessary to carry out different cellular activities.
- Exercise strengthens muscles and bones. As you age, you start losing bone density and muscle mass. Exercise can reverse these processes.
- It delivers nutrients and oxygen to your body tissues helping your organs work optimally. When your lung health improves you get more energy to handle your daily tasks
- Physical activity reduces stress, which tends to adversely affect several physiological functions and quality of sleep at night.
- Working out increase the production of a hormone called endorphin. This hormone produces positive feelings making you happier.
- Physical exercise helps lifts your mood.
- It improves skin health. Moderate physical exercise promotes the release of natural antioxidants which protect skin cells.
- Working out boosts digestion by modifying your gut micro-flora. Consequently, your bowel movements improve leading to better overall health.
- Physical exercise influence brain function and memory. Studies have shown that aerobic exercises avert the age-related loss of brain tissue.
Physical exercise provides a wide range of benefits that improves virtually all aspects of your health. It boosts the production hormones feel-good hormones, improves skin health and lowers the risks of developing various diseases. Additionally, as you age your body starts losing bone density and muscle mass. Exercising can help you maintain your energy levels even as you age. So, if you are not taking part in any physical activity you should start immediately. Luckily, there are various workout programs to suit your specific needs.
By: Joni Kim