Meaning of Conversation
Conversation is a talk particularly nonofficial that is taking place between people in which ideas and news are exchanged. You are said to be having a conversation with someone when you are talking with them, especially an informal situation. So any interactive exchange of information
between individuals is considered to be conversation. It is classified according to the direction of communication and purpose.
The four types of conversations are; debate, diatribe, discourse, and dialogue. Debate refers to a competitive, two-way conversation while diatribe is a competitive one-way talk. The goals are, respectively convince opponents that their position is right and to express emotions and browbeat everyone who disagrees with you. Discourse refers to a cooperative one-way conversation while dialogue describes a cooperative one-way talk. The goal of discourse is to deliver the message right from the speaker to the listener while that of dialogue is to allow participants to exchange ideas.
Importance of Conversation
- Conversation promotes language development through the exchange of ideas thoughts and listening to each other.
- Encouraging students to take part in conversations facilitates cultivation of language, confidence and competence.
- Face-to-face conversations provide physical connections between the people talking to and listening to each other.
- While not all dialogues always produce agreements, it nonetheless increases trust and respect among the people dialoguing.
- As you move into a conversation with someone else both of you stretch yourselves thereby increasing your ease amidst discomfort.
- When children talk they get a chance to think about their activities to play with ideas and become at ease with each other.
- Engaging kids with meaningful interactions that involve giving encourage emotional, social and cognitive development.
- Conversations make people better problem solvers. The attribute has a ripple effect on all other aspects of the individual.
- People want to know what is waiting for them. If things go wrong what is the next course of action? Conversations enable you to clarify issues.
- Conversations create avenues for growth. Listeners gain an insight into issues their superiors go through.
- By opening yourself to the discussion of new opinions and ideas you get a deeper understanding of various issues and topics.
- Conversations create room for social support whether you choose to talk to family members, colleagues or friends.
- Debates and discussions besides generating new ideas lead to creative problem-solving. Make sure you join discussion groups.
- Substantial conversations that have a massive impact on your life are obviously important to your happiness.
- People who initiate conversations with others experience a bigger sense of belonging and a strong bond with others.
- Talks form the foundations for meaningful social interactions. Without unofficial talks, the deep relationships wouldn’t exist.
- Having a tough conversation with someone is one of the many ways of showing them that they mean a lot to you.
- When you sit down with someone who knows you well and doesn’t fear you, you discover blind spots.
- Conversations shape and enrich coaching. It enables coaches to understand their teams more and come up with better strategies.
- Casual conversations in work environments are essential because they serve as warm-ups to convey information about you.
Conversations help seal the deal. While you can make a presentation, negotiate a contract, sell an item or even promote your product, unless you integrate friendly discussions you will not create long-term relationships with your customers. Relationships and friendships play a major role in customer loyalty and repeat business. At a social level, conversations strengthen social bonds among many other benefits.
By: Joni Kim