In this modernized world, it is justified to state that the world revolved around mass media. With the kind of the life we are living and the kind of pressure we are in today in terms of technological demands, we tend to have a growing need to reach more number of people.
As humans, there is always a need to stay connected with one another in one way another. There are various ways in which we sought each other for. These ways could be denoted in terms of economic, social and even political purposes or approaches.
Economically, mass media is used for marketing and to grow the world of business. When it comes to the social requirements of our life, we need to familiarize ourselves with our to be friends and forever strangers, the world is a small village.
Besides that, mass media makes politics a worldwide or national concern by bringing to our knowledge of the political scenes and happenings.
The meaning of mass media is embedded in what it does for the people who use it. Mass media makes life easy and fun.
Advantages of mass media
- It is used for to make education easy.
- It enables faster transfer of news and information regardless of distance
- Mass media enables the sharing of various talents from diverse individuals
- Mass media provides programs that aid in the education of smaller children
- Through mass media, consumer products are able to be promoted which in turn will increase the sales
- The use of television makes duplication of information possible in a way that reduces production costs which promotes mass education.
- Mass media promotes the diffusion of diverse culture and historical heritage and helps different people embrace their diversity
Disadvantages of mass media
- It leads to poor interpersonal and social skills thus promoting individualism.
- Mass media makes limitation of information made available for children hard as some contents are not children friendly.
- When it comes to print mass media, it is limited to geographical areas.
- The increased number of adverts when it comes to television and radio has made them loss their value.
- The addiction that comes with media can lead to decreased levels of productivity in people.
- There are health risks involved in the use of mass media. The prolonged use of television, phones and computers can lead to deteriorated eye sight.
- Mass media can promote the use of drugs and alcohol by making them appear okay.
- The use of anonymous accounts can foster the destruction of someone’s reputation.
We live in a world that is controlled by technology. Technology tends to subject functioning to solving human needs and a wider field of it is information.
There is a growing need for the need for reliable source of information. This is where mass media comes into the picture.
Mass media has made the world a better place, but at the same time we can’t overlook the downward side that comes with mass media. It is up to the user to determine the healthy limits of using mass media.
Internet has become the answer to every question in this modern age and time. On each stumbling block we face, ask internet is the most appropriate answer.
We sought for meaning and definition on life itself on internet. It provides solutions to human life and predicaments for example in terms of information and technology. But what if the meaning and information gotten is after all a two way lane.
Whilst it is such an exemplary thing to have a reliable source of information, sometimes the information provided may not be as reliable.
And sometimes, we may twist the outcome to suit our preference. At the end of the day it is not entirely our fault as it is not the internets all the same.
The use of the internet has various impacts to the entire aspects of the human life that range from social, economic, political as well as historical.
As much as internet makes life easy, there are some factors we should beware of. Some of the disadvantages and advantages of internet and the use of internet have been listed below:
Advantages of internet
- It has enabled worldwide virtual communication
- Provision of means of entertainment
- Communication is made easy to various individual and groups in minimum of times.
- It has led to the expansion of businesses through proper communication
- It has made shopping and marketing easy
- People are able to chat face to face while far away but in real time
- It has enabled easy global friendship formation
- Provides materials and resources for studying
- Allows easy communication and sharing of information
- Has enabled students get handy material for their class assignments.
- One advantage of the internet is increased productivity due to an ease of communication in organizations.
- The internet has enabled business automation application and reduced the need for heavy human presence in an organization.
- Has enabled timely access to money between individuals. Online payment is accessible and fast across the globe.
- Businesses no longer have to worry about storing data since they can do so through cloud storage which is also safe.
- It has improved customer care services.
Disadvantages of internet
- Leads to negligence of prioritized duties.
- It makes theft, manipulation and misuse of information.
- Lose of interpersonal communications especially among children.
- The encouraged anonymity has led to increased levels of people taking advantage of others.
- It discourages physical activities which may lead to lifestyle diseases.
- Leads to an increase in social alienation.
- The internet has led to new crimes such as cyber-crimes which were no longer there.
- More and younger are people are suffering from internet addiction disorders.
- It has increased laziness in students who can access anything on the internet hence no need to work hard.
- The internet may turn some people into shop alcoholics due to the allure of online shopping.
- Online bullying has led to some people committing suicide.
- The internet has exposed young children to pedophile who prey them online.
- Physical illnesses such as neck and back pain have been on the rise due to spending too much online.
- Too much exposure to the internet can affect ones focus and patience.
Internet is great. But it only serves its purpose if it is used in the right way and at the at the right time. Children, especially young ones are to be monitored and us adults, we ought to be responsible and perfect examples.
Simply put, science is the study of nature and behavior of natural things. Technology on the other hand is the application of scientific information into practical use with an aim to improve human life
Advantages of Science and Technology
- Science and technology has made our lives easy and comfortable.
- It has also eased communication making it faster and affordable
- Technology has enabled transport become affordable and fast.
- Another advantage of science and technology is that it has largely improved living standards.
- Things which were previously considered impossible have now become possible.
- Human beings have advanced as a result of science and technology.
- Allows for a fair sharing of a country’s resources.
- Improved treatment of all diseases whether hereditary, idiopathic or communicable diseases.
- Has opened a lot of job opportunities.
- Has provided an objective understanding of the universe.
- An immense well of information, anything question you may have has already been answered on the internet.
- Has saved human beings a lot of time which can be put into better use.
- Technology has helped in combating infectious factors.
- It has helped in maintaining consistency in given perceptions.
Disadvantages of Science and Technology
- Technology has been misused and used in destructive for destructive gains.
- Increase in the number of illegal things that man can do.
- It has been used negatively by terrorists to do their destructive works.
- Technological advancements like phones and I-pods have negatively affected some children.
- Vibrations of mobile phones have been associated with some ailments like brain disease and heart diseases.
- Things like nuclear energy have also been harmful to the environment also.
- Modern technology has led to a sharp decrease in natural beauty.
- Atomic bombs and atomic energy have been associated with causing harmful disease such as skin diseases among others.
- Technology has led to a reduction of jobs since most jobs can be performed by automated machines.
- It has been attributed to laziness since humans no longer need to work extra hard.
- Introduction of technology has led to a need to create new laws and rules to regulate technology.
- Technology has badly affected creativity and innovation since almost everything is available on the internet nowadays.
- It has also eroded social integration where most people would rather spend hours on their gadgets other than have interactions.
- Technology has led to many people feeling lost ad lonely.
- It has led to overdependence on gadgets with some individuals being unable to function normally without their phones.
Science and Technology has greatly improved our lives and made it better. We have seen improvements in the health sector which has saved millions of lives.
However, when left unregulated, technology can cause us more harm than good. This is one of the reasons why laws and regulations to regulate the use of technology are necessary.
Meaning of Social Media
Social media refers to various online communication channels indulged in activities like interactions, sharing of content, ideas, and information. From a modest beginning in the early seventies, Social media has indeed come a long way. Today, there are more than 2.50 billion social media followers around the world. The growth of Social media and its impact on society has increased manifold in the last decade.
However, there are a few drawbacks as well to the extensive proliferation of social media into our lives. In this article, we would enlist both advantages and disadvantages of social media for the benefit of our readers.
Advantages of Social Media:
- It is a great platform to offer help or guidance on various issues.
- A ready source of information and unbiased news.
- People can connect with each other irrespective of their location and differences in opinion.
- One of the greatest platforms for advertising and promoting various products and services.
- Positive comments about a company on social media platforms can build a company’s reputation immensely.
- Blogs, podcasts, communities etc. help exchange ideas and share opinions with like-minded people, project one’s creative talent and promote social causes.
- Social media platforms have proven to be a great help to enable employers to connect with able job seekers and workers.
- Creates awareness and changes lives in a positive way.
- Used by Governments to monitor and control criminal activities.
- Helps students, teachers, and experts to connect and learn about various subjects.
- Promotes creativity and out of the box thinking.
- Large audiences as various platforms have a huge number of followers.
- Cost-intensive and effective than traditional advertisement channels.
- One can stay in touch with friends and family members at all times for free.
Disadvantages of Social Media:
- Used for committing various scams and frauds.
- Spreading false stories and rumors can affect the reputation of businesses and individuals alike.
- Being glued to computes or smartphones affects people’s health as they develop a more sedentary lifestyle.
- Incidents of identity theft, hacking and social engineering have become commonplace.
- Increase in the number of imposters and social media trolls.
- Spending long hours on various social media platforms results in sleep deprivation.
- Glorifies alcohol and drugs usage in some cases.
- Social media is highly addictive and is one of the major reasons why people have become less interactive and social nowadays.
- Instances of cyberbullying have increased.
- Angry outbursts or complaints from the employees on social media can lead to a serious reputational loss for employers.
- Urge to be active on social media sites at workplace lowers worker productivity.
To sum it up, whether social media acts as a boon or a bane depends on the person using it.
Meaning of Cultural Diversity
Cultural diversity is a way of appreciating the difference that exists among different individuals.
Cultural diversity is inevitable since we are all different. This cultural difference can be defined by sex, race, age or social status.
Advantages of cultural diversity
- Improved innovation due to a difference in experience and specialization.
- Increased productivity because each employee has a unique quality to offer at work.
- Increased adaptability brought about by learning different solutions to a problem.
- Diverse ideas which are beneficial to any working environment.
- Diverse range of services as each member has something to offer.
- Greater room for individual growth and productivity.
- Increased ability to hire and retain diverse employees.
- Increased tolerance and patience amongst employees as they get to understand one another better.
- Improved social infrastructure in terms of housing, education and health systems in the community.
- An improvement in economic infrastructure such as better transport, communication and energy sectors.
- Improved social relations between people and nations which in turn improves business agreements between companies and nations
- Cultural diversity leads to improved financial and marketing infrastructure facilitating international operations.
- Increased client base due to the reputation and values of diversity in a company.
- Collaboration among diverse communities.
- Makes life to be more interesting as one gets to learn from different people about their cultures.
Disadvantages of cultural diversity
- Communication problem which can lessen productivity.
- Extra training cost which can badly affect a company’s budget.
- Unhealthy competition from employees trying to get recognized.
- Hindering the freedom of speech as individuals have to be cautious not to hurt other people’s feelings.
- Integration problems which might lower productivity.
- Disrespect as some members of certain communities feel superior to others.
- Civic disengagements because a diverse community is less likely to participate in civic activities.
- Workspace issues as one group might feel discriminated.
- Imbalance of power since mostly the community with the most members gets leadership positions.
- Different interpretation of workplace etiquette.
- Problems getting visa requirements and work permits in different countries.
- Conflicting working conditions and styles causing conflicts in the workplace.
- Cultural stereotypes and prejudices making some communities feeling un-worthy.
- Social injustices to communities deemed inferior.
- Lack of equal opportunities at work due to cultural discrimination.
The advantages of cultural diversity outweigh the negatives. We need to appreciate our differences so that we can move forward as one in all our endeavors.
A balance must be reached so that we can all enjoy the benefits of cultural diversity.
In actual sense, Tourism is travelling for business purpose or for pleasure. Tourism is a very important sector in every developing country. It serves as a constructive means of opening up a country, and its citizens to speedy growth and development. Through tourism, a country can appreciate the strength and weaknesses of other nations, find out what makes great places great, and enjoy all the fun and experience that comes with traveling. It also helps to boost a country’s economy by being a source of revenue to a country. However good tourism is, it has a collateral beauty in that it comes with its advantages as well as its disadvantages. This article, we will analyze the advantages as well as the disadvantages of tourism both to the individuals as well as the nation as a whole.
Advantages of Tourism
- Tourism asides from being able to enhance growth and development in a country can also be beneficial to individuals. Of the many benefits of tourism, here are a few:
- The tourism industry of every nation opens up the people of such nation to numerous employment opportunities. To cater for the many needs of tourists, the industry always herdsmen more hands on deck and as such employs people to take care of such requirements. This develops the human capital of such nation which results in high productivity and an improved standard of living
- Tourism also helps in bringing about economic growth to a country through the many foreign exchange earnings that tourism attracts to the country. This earning has an overall effect on the gross domestic product of the nation.
- Tourism also serves as a means of recreation. In this sense, it provides relief to individuals who get all busy with keeping up with daily work and family life. Through tourism, tourists can appreciate the beauty of nature and the fun of various destinations.
Disadvantages of Tourism
As much as tourism is advantages to both an individual and the nation, it also comes with its disadvantages as well. Some of the advantages include:
- The high cost of tourism is about one of its greatest disadvantages. Tourists have to plan a costly budget to cover accommodation, feeding, car hire and other costs that come with it.
- Traveling sometimes can be lengthy and stressful which sometimes have adverse effects on the health and vitality of tourists.
- Tourism also sometimes leads to increase in population. This increasing population then begins to bring about competition for scarce basic resources of a nation. The indigenous people of the country are sometimes on the losing end of this as more premiums are always being placed on tourists.
- Tourism also brings about cultural intimidation. Cultural intimidation in the sense that natives begin to compare their cultural orientations without that of visiting tourists and many time feel intimidated by them.
As much as tourism can be advantageous to both individuals and the nation as a whole, it also comes with its disadvantages for both parties as well. However, this is not enough to sway a country from investing in tourism. All that is needed is the conscious management of the disadvantages.
By Jay Kuch.
It is known to many that the cities are more populated than the villages, and that daily people move from the villages to the city. Why is this? Is it that the cities are better than the villages or that people prefer to go to the cities? Whatever it is that might be behind it; we will find out by weighing the advantages and disadvantages of living in a city.
Advantages of Living in a City
- Things are easier to reach and do in the big city. Things like shopping can be done online and directly delivered to your
doorsteps, and you pay them there. This is better as opposed to having to walk, take a bus or even drive to anywhere you want to get something because delivery does not happen in villages. Also, people who live in the villages are in some way cut out from the rest of the world because most commodities are launched in the cities first, and they get it first.
- A city has more job opportunities and better-paying salaries this is something not readily available in the villages. This is because most multi-million dollars corporations which are willing to pay such huge amounts as salary is located in the cities and are far away from the villages. Also, the city has more of the locations suitable for setting up a factory and gets the target audience.
- A city offers better education and living there can give you access to it. Most of the world’s renowned educational institutions such as Harvard Oxford are located in cities and as such only those living there can have access to it readily.
- There is a higher social life, and of course, there is never a dull moment because of the so many places located in the cities for socialization. This means that free time can be spent doing various things that one loves.
- A city is a prominent place, and there is always somewhere new to go and explore, this also means that there is never a dull moment and fun is never far away.
- The city also offers the best healthcare anywhere in the world. Health is wealth, and it is pertinent that we take excellent care of ourselves and to live a long and fruitful life.
Disadvantages of Living in a city
A city in as much as we would love to shower it with praises has its disadvantages. Some of them are.
- Higher crime rates, due to all the facilities that the cities have, and the number of people who flock there from the villages every day, the cost of living is very high, and not everyone can keep up with it, and this pushes them to the life of crime.
- Pollution in the cities is very high because most of the trees have been sacrificed for houses and almost all the factories are located there. This pollutes not just the air but the food they eat and water them drink in the cities, exposing them to several diseases.
It is clear from the above that to live in the city has its pros and cons; it is now up to you to
choose and follow your choice.
By Jay kuch.
Meaning of “Robots”
The term “Robots” has been with humans for quite a long time; most especially from movies where you can see them do all the amazing things humans wouldn’t have been able to do. They are so famous and probably don’t need any special introduction, but they are more than what we see on our screens, and with the extensive use of this machines, it is only practical to know what exactly a robot is.
In the simplest of definition, robots are automated machines usually equipped with features similar to that of humans (arms and legs) and can carry out a particular task based on the instructions programmed for it. In other words, it is any programmable machine that can perform different functions. Their importance is on the rise and in industries where the tasks carried out by the workers are dangerous; now use robots as a replacement.
Advantages of Robots
Their importance is enormous, and some of the most obvious ones are listed below;
- For exploration: robots are now sent to places that were once too dangerous for humans to explore. Now we know more about our surroundings thanks to robots.
- Highly efficient: robots are highly skilled and perform any task with precision and accuracy.
- Reduced the cost of production: with the speed and accuracy of robots, the cost of producing goods and services has significantly been reduced.
- Automated: robots are programmed devices and as such don’t need human support to carry out their designated roles.
- Increased productivity: design to carry out repetitive tasks without any problems, robots help to improve the productivity of a company.
- In healthcare and medicine: robots are now used to carry out complicated surgical procedures more
efficiently now in some hospitals.
- On warfare: the use of robots in warfare has helped reduced the number of lives lost.
- Extreme environments: robots, unlike humans, can withstand harsh environment and provide optimum results.
- Better utilization of space: in the manufacturing industry, the use of robots helps in maximizing space as one robot can be responsible for the jobs of ten or more people.
- Complete task humans are unwilling to carry out: some robots are sent to outer space to carry out investigations never to return.
- Robots don’t need breaks and as such can work for long hours non-stop.
- Robot helps to increase the safety of the workplace.
- Robots are used in the agricultural industry to make task faster.
- Robots are stronger than human.
- Robots come in different sizes to suit the specific needs.
Well for every advantage, the is sure disadvantages and robots have their fairshare;
- The use of robots leads to the loss of jobs by human workers.
- Robots are limited to what they were programmed to do only.
- They lack intelligence and as such can’t improve on their task.
- No emotions or feelings.
- Robots can be dangerous to humans.
- They need a constant supply of power.
- The high cost of maintenance.
- They can’t compare to the efficiency of the human brain.
- The additional cost of hiring staffs.
In conclusion, there are so many advantages to having a robot around as there are disadvantages, so it boils down to what you have to gain or lose when deciding to get one.
By Jay Kuch.
Trees play a major role in beautifying an environment; serving as raw material for several end products, and providing shades among others. With the many benefits that come with having trees around, it becomes crystal clear that more needs to be done than just preserving trees. More trees need to be planted. At this point, the question that comes to mind is why do more trees need to be planted?
Before we go on to know why more trees need to be planted by outlining some of the major benefits of tree plantation, let’s us first have a quick understanding of what tree plantation is.
What Is Tree Plantation? – Meaning
Tree plantation can simply be referred to as the process of planting more trees in strategic locations and for specific purposes. This process provides only mere planting of trees, but it also involves the continuous maintenance and sustenance of trees planted to maximize the benefits that come with tree plantation. The roles played by trees in our lives and living can’t be ignored. Tree plantation enhances our health as many trees have served as herbal means to cure certain sicknesses. It also provides several environmental and economic benefits to individuals and the society at large. We are at a time when tree plantation is essential to human life as it allows for the necessary resources needed for human survival.
Advantages of Tree Plantation
The advantages of tree plantation are so numerous to measure as trees directly or indirectly, This play a significant role in our lives. However, here are the considerable advantages of tree plantation.
- Trees enhance healthy breath. Trees have the abilities to absorb pollutant gases, helps in purifying the air we breathe and are surrounded by. A purified atmosphere serves as the basis for advanced sustained life as it provides an atmosphere to inhale fresh air. Trees serve and remain the only source of oxygen available for the sustenance of life.
- Tree plantation also helps in checking some natural disaster like erosion. It also serves as a windbreaker and such a proper building technique to help prevent houses from the menace of high wind and also shields individuals from the harmful rays of the sun.
- Tree plantation is also a constructive way to provide a nation with vibrant and nutrient-filled food to enhance the sustenance of individual and animal life. Trees planted to provide a variety of foods from tubers, fresh fruits, to foods reach in carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins.
- Tree plantation affirmed by the field of medicine has helped provide cure to several sicknesses and diseases that have long hunted human lives for a long time. From trees, herbal medicine has been developed to help save individuals from the high cost of modern health services provided for by hospitals.
Tree plantation no doubt remains very important in human development. Trees do not just sustain our existence. They also help in beautifying our lives. This is why more and more trees need to be planted to help save more lives, conserve more energy, reduce global warming, and provides more natural sight that makes living fun.
By Jay Kuch
Population growth refers to an increased in the number of people existing within a given region. With population growth is caused due to, an increase in birth rate and immigration statistics for that region, and a decrease in death rate and the number of people leaving that region for another.
A significant problem faced by population growth is that population growth doesn’t come with an increase in land. So while population increases, the land space doesn’t. What this means is that if the population growths of any region isn’t checked and contain inline with the land mass and resources present in that region, it might result in population outburst. With these, let’s look at some of the advantages as well as the disadvantages of population growth.
Advantages of Population Growth
The advantages of population growth among others include:
- It brings about economic growth and development. Population growth of a country brings about an increase in transactions of necessary requirements like food, clothing and shelter. This influences the economic status of such country as there would be an increase in tax paid. These taxes paid by the individual are then being used to bring about infrastructural development to such region.
- Population growth also brings about an increase in the number of people that constitute the workforce of the nation. With this increase in the nation’s workforce, there is a ready human workforce that is well utilized and developed, can bring about increased productivity especially in the areas of agriculture and manufacturing.
- Population growth also results in high level of innovative ideas: the more the number of people, the more the innovative ideas that can be developed. Population growth through the presence of many innovative brains can help result in more and more industrial production as well.
- Population growth also ensures diversity and appreciation of various orientations especially in the areas of culture and religion.
Disadvantages of Population Growth
Notwithstanding the numerous advantages of population growth, population growth if not properly checked, can be very disadvantageous. Some of the many disadvantages of population growth include:
- With an increased population in any society or country, comes high crime rate. This is because the more the population increases, the more individuals begin to compete for basic living requirements. In a bit to earn a living, individuals delve into all sort of
illegal activities to make a living.
- Population growth also means that individuals have to compete for more land space. Even though population increases,
land space doesn’t, and to create more space, environmental degradation like deforestation occurs.
- Population growth results in high-level competition for basic resources available in the region. Due to limited resources, population growth results in unemployment as population growth begins to surpass employment opportunities available.
Even though the exact figure of the world’s population isn’t fixed, many experts agree that population growth comes with numerous benefits. However for a nation to continually enjoy these many benefits, it has to ensure it takes several measures to ensure that population growth is being checked and controlled. This is because if population growth is not monitored, it can be very disadvantageous to the nation in diverse ways.
By Jay Kuch.