Meaning of Books
Books are Magic! While a book to many, is nothing but a bunch of papers sewn together with a fancy cover, it is a lot more than that! Books are a wealth of information and a window to the world. Books are, undeniably, one of the very best inventions of man. It helps chronicle, events, information and even acts as a form of entertainment! There are various other definitions of the book and let us see what they are.
Varied Definitions of a Book
- A written or a printed work that can be fiction or nonfiction fastened together using covers.
- Blanked or ruled paper sheets that are properly bound together to record information.
- A book is an object that provides readers with knowledge.
- A set of sheets of paper, written or unwritten bound together with a front and a back cover.
- A number of paper pieces fastened together.
The above mentioned are just some of the definitions of “books”. Let us now learn about the importance of the same.
Importance of Books
- Books are filled with information and thus provide knowledge.
- Books provide us with an insight into a happy life, teaching us a number of valuable life lessons.
- A good book can provide you with the best advice when in need and help you face your fears.
- You can expose yourself to all things new when you read a good book. Gain new ideas and get access to new information. You can let your imagination run wild and enjoy a few good laughs!
- Reading a good book can help you find a hobby you love. And, who knows, maybe someday you will see yourself as a great painter or cartoonist! The options are limitless!
- Reading a book can help you understand the world better. There is no dearth of books on Geography that will take you on a tour of the entire world, without having to step out of your homely abode.
- Books can be your best friend and first step towards self-improvement. When in doubt, books can aid in taking better decisions.
- Your book can even act as your pillow when you need a quick nap!
- Did you ever know that you can improve the imagination and creativity by reading books? Yes, you can!
- A number of studies have shown that books help reduce stress and all you need to do every day is to read a good book in silence.
- When you read a book, you tend to think and this, in turn, increases your memory.
- Books open a Pandora of entertainment to all age groups.
- Books increase self-confidence and all this happens as you gain knowledge.
- Books increase focus and concentration and also alma matter!
- Books help us to feel, love and emote. They make us better human beings.
A book is a treasure trove of knowledge and there is no good or bad book. There is something to learn from just about every book that has ever been printed. So, what are you waiting for? Grab a book today and take the very first step towards the path of enlightenment.
We all know the fact that life on the planet Earth needs water – not only to survive but also to enrich. We as humans require water every day for our day to day activities like drinking, cooking, bathing and cleaning and so on. Water is also required to keep the environment clean. Not only humans, but plants, animals, birds and insects too require water to survive. The uses of water cannot be explained in brief and hence let us see what they are in detail.
The availability of water has always played an important role when people had to decide where to live and how to live. In simpler terms, it can be said that water affects the quality of our life.
Listed below are a few uses of water
- Fresh water is required in hotels, and a number of other commercial facilities like offices, motels and military institutions too for drinking as well as cleaning purposes.
- Water is used for cooking in not just homes, but also hotels. You can use water to poach, rinse, soak, cook, steam and even thaw food.
- Did you know water is used steam-clean your dirty rugs at home?
- Water can be used to make curd, whey, and almond milk.
- Water is used in refineries to refine sugar and even distill essential oils.
- Apart from being extensively used for bathing, washing of clothes, water is also used to water gardens and lawns.
- Water finds use in the making of beauty products too. It is used to make shampoos, conditioners, soap and even laundry detergent.
- Water is a very valuable resource for the industries across the nation. A number of manufacturing units make use of water in the process of dilution or cooling, in transportation, cleaning and processing.
- Water is also applied artificially to various fruit farms, horticultural crops, and for the irrigation pastures.
- Water is also used to protect the farms from frost and freezing and from drought. Water is also required in the process of chemical application, harvesting and also plays a vital role in crop cooling.
- Water is also required for the proper maintenance of fish farms, dairies and in various other non-farm needs. Water is also required in the production of red meat, milk, poultry and wool. It is also important to note that livestock only requires fresh water.
- Water is necessary for the efficient functioning of the mining sector. About 32% of water used in this sector is saline water and it is also used in the extraction of natural gases, crude and petroleum and iron ores.
- You will find that water is used in your house’s HVAC system too. It is used to heat and cool your house.
- Dentists use water to rinse patient’s mouths.
- Water is also used to pop pills, make saline solutions and even various liquid medications.
- Water is used by fire fighters to extinguish fires and thereby save lives and property.
- Water is used in amusement park rides and even in your backyard swimming pool.
- This wonder liquid is employed to lubricate the saw when cutting tiles and rocks.
- Water is used to turn large turbines in mills that make flour.
- Water is one of the main cooling agents in your car’s engine.
Apart from the above mentioned, water is used in almost every sector. But with the growing population and the environmental changes, water is becoming scarce. So, let’s get water wise and use water efficiently so that we have plenty of it for future use.
Meaning of Teamwork
Teamwork is a group of independent persons working towards a common objective. The coordination and combined efforts to complete projects efficiently and effectively are high. For teamwork to succeed, you are required to have a competent team size of about six to eight people with specific aspects of the team members.
Advantages of Teamwork
- Teamwork improves every aspect of its performance productively in an organization despite the size.
- The level of expertise, creativity, and morale is high.
- Getting results in a wide range of possible solutions is faster.
- You get to experience mutual goals with your team members.
- Working as a team produces innovative, accurate and, practical solutions.
- Teamwork produces better results when working effectively.
- It restores a broader sense of ownership of the organization both individually and collectively.
- Workers tend to get better at sharing knowledge.
- Its members can better imply an organization’s outcome of decisions.
- Complicated problems are dealt with effectively.
- It takes a shorter time to solve problems.
- You get to discover more about yourself.
- Communication improves significantly with good teamwork.
- You hold one another accountable.
- You can plan and manage your time well.
Disadvantages of Teamwork
- Majority of the processes can be time-consuming and require adequate resources.
- Due to contrasting approaches and styles, team members are bound to clash at some point.
- There can be unequal cooperation and involvement among the members.
- You may find that you work best alone than with a team.
- The rate of competition is high among workers.
- Peer pressure is immense for fear of getting mocked.
- It can take a long time setting up a team.
- A trend of criticism and blame game can be quite common.
- It is challenging to evaluate the weaknesses and strengths of particular workers.
- Communication mishaps can result to trust issues with members.
- Regular meetings must be organized, managed and, have an agenda to avoid having a social gathering instead.
- Division of the group to a subgroup can dissolve the whole team.
- As a team leader, you play a significant part in either making or breaking of a team.
- An overbearing team leader takes all the merits.
- There can be a loss of creativity in some members.
You are therefore not guaranteed that with teamwork your goals will be attained. Do your best and ensure that your team has what is required to avoid fallout.
By Sheila Karuku.
As a teacher, you get to play a significant role in nurturing basic learning techniques in children. You instill useful morals, integrity and, yet enrich our minds by teaching us not through books alone but also life lessons. The work of an educator is inspiring and fruitful. This role gives you the opportunity to connect with analytical young brains and bring a positive impact in our lives.
Teaching is referred to as a “noble profession” because of the effect you as a schoolteacher has on us when we become tomorrow’s leaders. It is noble because of the challenges you deal with on a daily basis. As an instructor, you gain more knowledge about your subject as you continue teaching. A good teacher naturally believes in the potential of his students in educational growth. The creative ways of teaching and the dedication you show us is remarkable.
Advantages of being a teacher
- You become a public figure to many. You are continuously looked upon because you hold a high standard.
- A sense of accomplishment when your students excel in different concepts.
- Long recess. You get to have a month long break during vacations.
- The good friendships you built with fellow teachers and staff.
- Job availability. With our population multiplying, there are high demands for teachers.
- A pension scheme for teachers working in public schools.
- You have the freedom to choose how to teach your students. Consolidate positive changes that you wished was present during your time as a student.
- You help your pupils to cultivate social skills, how to connect with people and, to learn how to express themselves.
- Another added advantage is that you get the opportunity to watch your students grow.
- There is room for scholarships and teaching programs that stand to benefit you.
- You have a favorable circumstance to share your passion and skill.
- Transform the future of education. You have the power to impact the future study of education.
- In every new school year, you have a fresh start with various charms and objections.
- You assist students in developing essential reading, writing and, speaking skills.
You need to have the zeal for teaching for you to become a teacher. This profession is more than just a job and instead who you are as a person. The bonds that you form with your students tend to last a lifetime.
By Sheila Karuku.
There are many reasons as to why you should learn English as a language. English is a second language in many countries since we include it in our school syllabus. As children, we start learning it at an early age. English has become the most commonly spoken language internationally. The English language allows you to communicate effectively with people from different cultures. It also enables you to become a better listener and creates many opportunities for you.
So why should you study English and not any other language? Well, it is a primary source of communication in business or education and not to forget science and technology. There being thousands of languages in the world, it is vital to have wordings that bring you together, and English does. It also has a health benefit surprising right! Studies have shown that people speaking two or more languages have more active minds later in life.
Importance of studying the English Language
- English is one of the most popular language spoken in the world. Studies have shown that one out of five people can understand or speak English.
- English is also the language of science, computers, tourism, aviation and, diplomacy.
- Increases your chances of you getting a great job in multinational organizations either at home or abroad.
- English is the official language spoken in almost sixty countries.
- For you to be able to use the internet you need to be conversant with the English language. Most websites use English to pass information.
- Access to the entertainment industry. Majority of the elite films, music, and books are either published or produced in English.
- Thousands of schools around the world offer academic courses and programmes in the English language.
- Over four hundred million people globally speak English as a first language.
- English is quite easy and fast to learn. It has been established on simple alphabets as compared to other languages.
- UN, NATO and, other International and regional organizations have made English their official communicating language.
- You get to feel satisfied just by understanding the language.
- It makes it easier for you to travel anywhere.
- English is critical in the international marketplace.
- It is a fun language that you get to learn.
- For a smooth transition for the immigrants and tourists, English becomes essential.
The English language has gradually evolved over the past, and it will still be in use for years to come. Learning English can make a difference in your life.
By Sheila Karuku.
Meaning of Literacy
A person who is at least 7 years of age and is able to read, write and speak any one language is said to be literate.
Literacy is defined as the capability of the citizens of a country to decipher written texts, distinguish spoken words and communicate in a language with the fellow people who understand the language.
In many descriptions, literacy is termed as mere ability to read and write. But this is not widely accepted and is discarded in today’s modern world of technology.
Literacy is also defined as one’s precision to decode the printed and written words (Braille in case of Blind people) with proper coherence, pronounce letters clearly and compute basic operations skillfully.
Literacy is defined as the embedded decent functioning of an individual and his/her interaction with the surroundings, fellow beings and superiority to handle objects in environment.
Importance of Literacy
- Basic literacy is useful for any organization, the individual would work for.
- Literate citizens prove to be assets for any country they reside in.
- Making a person literate would not only help him in decision making but also improve his dignity in the society.
- Literacy helps an individual to make proper decisions which ultimately helps him grow personally in life.
- A literate person can work efficiently which would ultimately contribute to the GDP of the country.
- Literacy improves the standard of living of people by getting him/her higher pay and better jobs.
- Literacy can reduce crime rates by providing the ability to distinguish between what is wrong and what is right.
- It brings awareness in people regarding various beneficial schemes launched by government.
- Education and literacy provides everyone with equal opportunities, equal dignity and hence it promotes equality.
- Literacy instills a sense of confidence among masses, a confidence to fight for their rights.
- Education and literacy is an effective way to flourish peace in the world.
- Poverty reduction can be easily facilitated by imparting proper education and making the masses literate.
- Literacy reduces negativity and improves understanding among huge populated citizens.
- Educated and literate people are capable of maintaining proper hygiene which would facilitate better health conditions.
- It enables adult to utilize their full potential and improve their career prospects.
A computer is a device that can carry out logical and mathematical operations through a set of programmed instructions. In today’s parlance, the word computer usually means a Personal Computer; that has a central processor, storage capabilities, and input and output devices.
Advantages of Computer
- Work that is saved on the computer can be easily accessed and used again or edited for new purposes.
- Upgradable hardware.
- The final output is seen on the screen while it is being produced. This allows the content creator to check the work.
- Since the editing is done real time, only the final version needs to be printed reducing the need for paper.
- Connects to social media easily.
- While creating content, research can be done right on the computer simultaneously. Sources can be easily cited, and the information inserted.
- Computers can automate tasks, have recurring calendar items, and reduce menial tasks.
- A person’s activities can be tracked so a journal or diary of their activities can be accessed by the user.
- Computers can play a variety of media formats unlike other devices such as TVs.
- Immersive gaming due to the larger screens and input devices.
- Faster editing of media due to the powerful processor.
- Better online shopping.
- Experience sharing is easier since most controls require a keyboard and mouse.
- Software availability as most of the world publishers, develop for the computer first.
- Depreciates slowly as hardware components have a long shelf life.
Disadvantages of Computer
- Causes wrist pain as people work with the keyboard and mouse.
- Computers consumes more electricity.
- Steep learning curve from learning the operating system and the software.
- Distracting from work since it is easy for social connections to find you.
- Activities are tracked.
- Prolonged use causes eye strain.
- Encourages micro-management as tasks and activities are tracked.
- Expensive to run and maintain since you have to keep antivirus software updated.
- You are tied to an operating system which makes it hard to switch platforms.
- Compromises privacy.
- Need for updates for hardware and firmware.
- High Training costs because of the different components that may be upgraded.
- Desktop machines are not mobile; and while laptops are mobile, they are generally not as easy to use as smartphones.
- Computers now have limitations when not connected to the internet.
Aside from the fact that they are expensive to run and upgrades are necessary, the use of the computers far outweighs the disadvantages. In a constantly connected world, the computer serves as a gateway and storage facility for all of our experiences. Computer use will continue to grow even as more people consume content on their mobile devices, since to create the content, computers are the more obvious choice.
Meaning of Bicycle
- Bicycle is a two wheeled vehicle which moves through paddling. It is has two back to back wheels driven by human paddle.
- A vehicle with metal frames mounted on two spooked wheels run by paddling. It has a handle bar for steering, a saddle and a chain which join the two wheels.
- Bicycle doesn’t require fuel for movement. It is not powered by an engine.
- There are many advantages of having a bicycle. Let’s have a look at them.
- The bicycle is the cheapest mode of communication.
- It doesn’t require fuel.
- It saves money.
- It doesn’t emit greenhouse gases.
- You can lose your weight by travelling on it.
- It protects you from diseases like strokes, diabetes, etc.
- It increases strength and endurance.
- It is the best activity for recreation.
- It is safe and there is less chance of heavy injuries.
- Your joint mobility is improved.
- It reduces stress.
- It saves time as you do not need to take out extra time for exercise.
- There is less chance of road mishaps and accident.
- There is no traffic congestion.
- Cycling is a popular sport, and the grand cycling events are organized throughout the world.
There are some disadvantages of the bicycle too. Some of them are.
- It is not suitable for travelling for long routes.
- It is not a quick mode of transport.
- It cannot carry more than two people.
- You cannot carry big things from one place to another through bicycle.
- People get tired after cycling a lot.
- It is not suitable for old people, differently able people.
- There is no protection from rain and the sun.
- It becomes painful while travelling on the bad road.
- You may get cold as there is no protection from cold winds.
- Cycling on mountains sometime leads to the fatal accident.
- It is not easy to find service centre for the bicycle in urban areas.
- Continuous sitting on saddle leads to pain in back and lower legs.
- The maintenance cost of the bicycle is high.
- You can come in direct contact of vehicular pollution during travelling by bicycle.
The bicycle is one of the greatest inventions of mankind. It is an environment friendly, best mode of transport for shorter distances. This is the cheapest mode of transport. However, there are some disadvantages too. You may get wet during rain and sweat during summer. But, it is indeed one of the best sports for recreational activities.
Meaning of Computer Game
- A computer game is the game played on the computer. It is a game in which the movements of character appearing on the computer screen are controlled by pressing the mouse and joystick.
- It is a game played by manipulating an input device in response to graphics appearing on the computer screen.
- It is an electronic game that involves interaction with the visual graphics displayed on the computer screen as per user instructions.
- A game played on a computer for developing reasoning and hand eye coordination by giving a fast response by the user for pictures displayed on the computer.
Computer Games offers many advantages. Let’s have a look at them.
- Computer Games improves memory and speed.
- It increases attention.
- It develops creativity.
- Your cognitive skills developed.
- It enhances the problem-solving skills.
- It keeps the people engaged.
- It reduces stress.
- Your reasoning ability improves.
- It encourages teamwork.
- It inculcates decision-making skills.
- Your hand-eye coordination improves.
- It reduces cravings for smoking and drinking.
- It strengthens your will power by giving you challenge.
- Your self-confidence is boosted.
- It gives you entertainment.
Computer Games has some disadvantages too. Some of them are:
- Your time is wasted playing games.
- It becomes an addiction.
- It leads to eyestrain and poor visibility.
- It creates a headache.
- Long hours of sitting leads to body ache and poor blood circulation.
- It may lead to poor blood circulation.
- Long hours of playing game cause anxiety.
- It increases obesity due to lack of exercises.
- You may skip meal.
- It increases laziness.
- You have less interest in outdoor activities.
- People avoid sleeping to play games.
- It leads to daydreaming. Your mind is filled with the strategy to win games.
- It distracts from the study.
- You may avoid going to office, school just to play the game.
The computer games are played by millions of people daily. They generate huge opportunities and sources of income for thousands of people. They are entertaining as well as develop our cognitive skills. However, excess of anything is bad so are computer games. It leads to many health problems and distracts us from our life goals. Computer Games helps us in study as well. They help us to understand the complex concept easily.
Having a hobby means having a regular activity that you do for pleasure during your pleasure time. There are different types of hobbies such as painting, listening to music, playing sports, creative writing, blogging, fishing keeping and singing. Some people claim that participating in
a hobby is beneficial while others disagree claiming it wastes time. Below are both advantages and disadvantages of having a hobby.
Advantages of Having a Hobby
- Hobbies promote eustress (The positive kind of tress) which in turn makes you productive.
- They provide a perfect outlet to challenge oneself without suffering from stress that characterizes work-related challenges.
- Engaging in a leisure activity exposes you to a new world of individuals who enjoy participating in the same activity.
- It provides an avenue to release stress because when you focus on a non-work related activity.
- Hobbies provide a great way to break from our otherwise extremely daily busy lives without losing a purpose.
- Hobbies particularly those involving physical activity have physical health benefits.
- Engaging in leisure activities save you from idleness that leads to engaging in unhealthy activities and decadent behaviors.
- They can improve your career as it shows employers that you have passion and self-drive to do something with your free time.
- Leisure activities can provide extra income because some like singing has monetary value and hence generate income.
- They can grow you spiritually. Doing something that inspires and recharges you nourishes your soul.
- Research has found that hobbies build self-esteem and enhances self-confidence that will help you achieve your dreams.
- Nurturing a new hobby can help you develop your dream character because it exposes you to new ideas and a new circle of friends,
- Mentally intensive leisure activities like learning computer coding and playing chess give your brain a great workout.
- Hobbies improve sleep. Engaging in a relaxing activity before going to bed slows down your heartbeat enhancing sleep.
- They also help you develop patience because as you learn how to practice the hobby, the learning curve will require patience.
Disadvantages of Having a Hobby
- Playing video games may lead to addiction which is counterproductive for school-going children.
- They can serve as a procrastination tool making you delay doing an urgent activity.
- Hobbies have been found to provide an avenue to “escape reality” and not deal with personal problems.
- One may end up focusing on hobbies more than income generating activities.
- When you become immersed in your hobby, you may end up isolating yourself from loved ones.
- Some hobbies like computer games can give you false expectations in life.
- Certain aggressive smartphone games can make young people become violent.
- Concentrating on a hobby while traveling by public means can make you forget to alight at the right destination.
- Engaging in hobbies that involve sitting before a computer screen for a long period of time can cause eye problems.
- The obsession with leisure activities can prevent people from doing physical exercise leading to obesity.
- People who have hobbies may not venture too far into other important activities.
- Some hobbies require expensive equipment thus draining the financial resources of families.
- Hobbies like hunting lead to the destruction of wildlife and hence loss of biodiversity.
- People who get excessively immersed in hobbies can forget to eat resulting in poor health.
Having a hobby plays a crucial role in improving one’s life.
It breaks the work-related boredom, reduces stress and much more. However, if
you overdo it, it can lead to the above disadvantages.
By: Joni Kim